Wednesday, September 11, 2013

So many experiences to share, if you are interested!

Finally. Time to sit and blog and catch up on our life. Where to start? California has been really good to us. I cant believe we have been here almost 6 months. It still feels so fresh and new and sometimes I still get lost while driving around. I am really grateful for Google maps, because really, I have used that sucker a lot! But yes, Its been great out here. I cant fight the feeling that my heart is still stuck in Spanish Fork Utah, but im working on it. When ever I think about or hear about our old neighborhood, I get a little sad. I miss our little house, I miss my fabulous neighbors, I miss my kids' friends and I miss that small town feeling. Ive just come to realize that Utah is very unique in a way that you have to just live there for yourself to know to understand it. I wont miss those winters though....but I might miss the pretty snowfall before it gets slushy and ugly ;) We live in an apartment community and we Love it! Yes, you heard me, WE LOVE IT! I have never felt like we were stepping down by getting into an apartment. We feel so blessed to be here and we know that this opportunity is ours. The apartment, Its small, but its ours. We have made it our home and we have made it work. We love our neighbors, we have met some of the greatest people by living here and I sincerely wouldnt change it for anything, anything at all. I do know that my heart aches for Utah sometimes, but I am really looking forward to the day when I can be in Sunnyvale and feel like we're "home." Moving here has taken some emotional adjusting. My physical self loves it, but my emotional self has taken a little longer to get used to it. I do anticipate the day that we can feel "settled" here because I do know that we dont have any plans on going back to utah anytime soon. (sorry family!) I'd like to say that if/when we have the opportunity to buy a home here, that will probably be when our hearts can finally feel settled and we can finally say that we're HOME. Until then though, we are happy right where we are. We have been tossed a few hard days, but really, we cant deny how blessed we feel to be here. Nick is really loving work. Rough days, good days, hard days and boring days....he loves it. Im so proud of how far he has come with his web/design skills. I cant even put into words how much he has grown. They surely do value designers a lot more out here which is why we cant see any plans of going back to utah anytime soon. Here in Silicon Valley there are way too many opportunites for Nick to grow as a designer and I 100% want that for him. He is super awesome at what he does! I cant imagine him staying stagnant with his job. There is just so much to do and there are so many things to learn. I am really glad that Nick and I were able to find him a career that uses his talent as an artist. He has a great eye and great people skills that have brought him so dang far in the 8 years that we have been married. I would hate to hold him back which is why california is perfect for his career and personality. He is doing awesome, and as his wife, I am so amazed at his dedication. He makes me really proud. McCoy started the 2nd Grade with Mrs. Phillips and since its the fresh start of a new year, he is really loving it. He makes friends so easily and he loves that they study so many subjects! I really love the learning strategies here and have a feeling that McCoy is going to grow leaps and bounds with the education system they offer. He had a hard time leaving Rees and all his friends he had there, so my heart jumps for joy when I see him enjoying his school, because that was my #1 concern with moving out here. I tell you, there is something about your child making friendships that are meaningful to them, cause since that has happened with McCoy, I would say that a big part of me has relaxed that hasnt been able to relax since we got here. Its kinda funny....here, the little girls are a little crazy for him :) I've seen the girls rest thier faces on his desk and stare at him, and i've seen girls follow him after school chanting his name....and i've seen girls chase him during a game of tag....he is such a stink! I have started walking McCoy to school twice a week. At school every morning as everyone arrives, the kids walk in a big circle for "morning walk." Its a great time for kids to chat or for parents to chat with their kids. I like to take that time and chat with McCoy and I have seen a massive change in our relationship since we've been doing this. He looks forward to it every morning and so do I. Im so glad we have started this little ritual together. Its been one of Gods tender Mercies to me to value of McCoy that I hadn't before recognized. We had a few rough years that we butted heads, but I can honestly say that since he's gotten older, he has been such a great and obedient boy. And, I do know with all my heart, that since we have moved out here, we have found that its not as easy to make friends, or your friends dont live right next door....so we have spent an incredible amount of time TOGETHER, which in utah we didnt do as much, just he and I, because we both were occupied with friendships. Now, not to say anything bad about that, cause really, there wasnt. But we didnt realize what we were missing between us. But here, its an every day thing to have plenty of time between just he and I, and I know thats another tender mercy from God, to help save our relationship....and most of all my relationship with my son. Heavenly Father knew just what we needed. Lavi has turned in to such a little girl. She is all grown up and has changed since we moved. I have noticed some big changes in her, but one thing for sure is her little voice remains all nasal-like and loud! She is my extremely loud girl! She has always loved animals, especially dogs, but out here, every dog has gained a second heart to love them. Little Lavi loves all the dogs in our complex, and in fact, if it werent for her nosy little personality petting every dog that she see's, we probably wouldnt even have any friends! hahah. But really, her love for pets has really increased. I appreciate Lavi. When we walk, she smells every flower, she notices every cloud, she says hi to every ant on the ground, she has a new found love for snails, she loves moths and butterflies...she has a deep appreciation for the simple things. I had a tug of war with my heart about putting her in public preschool this year. I had her all signed up to attend Laurelwood preschool and she was so excited! The school was nearly $200 dollars with a $435 down payment for tuition, enrollment fees, supplies...blah blah blah. Well, after so much heavy thinking about it, I decided to pull her from the preschool before school started. I thought I was going to kick myself from pulling her, but surprisingly I felt a huge weight from my back lift right up. But then the guilt set in and the worry of what I was going to do with her.... At last I found out about a joy school that I wasnt too excited about, but I thought i'd find out more about it. Long story....I have her signed up for Joy school with some great girls, and she is signing up tomorrow for ballet or gymnastics. I feel really good about it and im grateful for the direction that i've taken with her. One day, I sat thinking about how its been 5 years since my mom passed. I thought about her and thought about how quickly I was sent a new baby as my form of peace after loosing my mom. Lavi has most certainly been the peace after trial and mourning in my life. Some of the things Lavi does has my mom written all over it. Its amazing how that happens. I remember having to heal my broken heart after having Lavi. But it wasnt too long after I had baby Lavi, that my heart was whole again. So as I contemplated the preschool for Lavi and I almost let guilt take over me, I remembered that its ok. Its ok to keep her close to me for one more year. Its not socially acceptable here to NOT put your kid in preschool, but I feel my reason is much greater than any price I could pay to have her educated. Kindergarten is all day long here in Cali, so I figure that before my peaceful sidekick leaves my side for a bigger world, I will just keep her close. I made that commitment a few weeks ago and I havent looked back. No regrets what so ever. Nick and I got callings as Nursery teachers in the ward. I know what your thinking!! knock it off ;) Ok, I wont lie....I bawlled my ever loving eyeballs out the day we were handed the calling. I had flash backs of the Willows nursery in utah and the mad kaos it was in there. I am afraid to admit, but I had a pretty sour attitude about it. Boy, I learned a quick lesson. Surprisingly enough, I dont mind it at all. We are with the little babies, and I think its been good for me. I cant say that i've learned SOOOOOOO much from this calling yet.....but I think my lesson will come later. Nick is greatly appreciated in there too. There are a few little girls that when they cry, they prefer a daddy to comfort them. Its been good for both of us to serve together and we have both been humbled. Its been so healthy for us to simplify and teach the little ones about Jesus. I really do honestly think (and I am guilty) that the calling of nursery is horribly judged. I never realized its value and importance until now. Its been great too, cause a lot of the families around our age are teachers in the primary or in the nursery, so its def been an easier way to get to know people! After finding that out, I felt bad for being bitter about the calling. Ooooops! I will admit though, I miss the Willows Wards RS lessons. Those were always so powerful and just what I needed. I miss those women a lot! Church is great though, we really have loved the families in the ward. So many people have opened themselves up to us and have offered their kids to our kids for friends, have offered their services and have taken us in. Again, we feel blessed to be where we are. Willows ward was so dang hard to leave and live up to...but we have survived the transition! I have really loved it out here in Cali. Im not going to lie, the Indian Culture is huge here and it has brought my curiosity out a lot! I have NEVER been interested in my heritage or anything indian at all. Not really out of anything to be rude, but I just have only known myself as an American and hadnt ever looked into my Indian heritage. I am intrigued by the language, the dress, style, accents....everything about it. No, im not going to dress the ways and such, just because its not who I am....but I have really grown a deep love for the Indian People. They are so kind, so loving, so family oriented, so loyal..... I am so proud of myself for being brave and going out of my way to get to know a lot of them and actually feel a very strong friendship with quite a few of the families here. And of course their children.....oh man, I just die every time one of them smiles or bats those long eye lashes. TO DIE FOR! The children are beautiful!!!!!! Its kind of funny because in Utah, if I saw an indian, it was all I did to try not to make eye contact, But here, its everything I have to keep me from going over and introducing myself. I just love the people and the culture, its just simply amazing to me. I love the many many MANY cultures here in Sunnyvale. Its unreal how many cultures are here. Just in McCoy's school alone, there are 25 languages that are used cause some children know up to 3 languages. Absolutely incredible and im so happy to surround my kids with what the Gospel of Jesus Christ Teaches, that each one of us are different, each one of us serves a very important purpose and to love one another for who they are. We are so blessed to have some of our family out here, The Kenney's. You may have heard me talk about Jan'l, Jason and all our little Cousins. Wow, we had NO idea they lived here til we were getting ready to move. It was an instant connection wtih that family. Hardly any effort, we are all best friends. Jan'l has not only been a life saver on so many levels, but a friendship that I never knew was waiting out there for me! She inspires me when it comes to motherhood. She shows me so many ways. We talk, the kids play.... Having that family here for us has been such a perfect friendship and relationship for all 4 of us. I cant even express enough on how much we love them and are grateful to have them. Tragedy strikes when we go more than 2 days of not seeing each other! Really, it does :) Being a mormon in this state is different than being a mormon in Utah :) I was really scared....not ashamed....scared (two different things) at first to even tell anyone that I was mormon because I was afraid they wouldnt want to talk to me or be my friend. But the one thing I love about the people here is, they are pretty accepting no matter what. People are really good about just doing what they want and minding their P's and Q's. But with along with minding their bizz, you will meet some of the friendliest people at the train station, in the cereal isle, while taking a walk...I know that missionary work is so vital and I pray for opportunities all the time, but I havent yet felt the impression to do anything big yet and honestly, Im ok with that. I know that if I need to step forward, Heavenly Father will let me know and I will do it. My biggest mission is just to set an example of who I am and what I believe. I dont know what dent im making in others lives, or if Im making a dent at all, but if they know me, I hope they know im a believer and I am indeed a Mormon :) So, yep, here we are almost 6 months into this new life of ours. We love it! I can truely and honestly say that I would have NEVER imagined that coming to Cali just for a job, would bring so many experiences and blessings to the life of my little family in such little time. We have seen only a small portion, but its been so much to us, of whats out there in this HUGE world. We were not expecting to be blessed with such abundance. We are so glad we took a risk, had faith and moved. And there's my novel of the last 5 month since I last wrote :)

1 comment:

  1. Amera! I loved this blog. brought tears to my eyes! No wonder Jan'l loves you so much! Thanks for being such a good friend to her.
    you are amazing!
    Love
    Aunt Myrna

    ReplyDelete